Tuesday 23 October 2012

Inviting a novice to a rally, is it wise?


One of my colleagues at work has always shown an interest in my metal detecting exploits. I have often said to him why don't you come along and have a go at it? This week, I informed him that I was going to an open rally which would take place on Sunday and would he like to come along? Tentatively, he said "yes ok then". I think he had a mixture of excited apprehension and a small dose of fear.

After mentioning it on the clubs forum last night I was reminded that my friend would have to be insured. To be honest I had overlooked this small but rather important issue. I remember a couple of years ago I had to get a rushed insurance done to allow me on a dig. I drove to the guy who organised the insurance house to get registered in time. This time I need not go to that extreme, as the web site has an on line registration form which I quickly filled in and sent off my £8.00.

My friend has no metal detector, and has never tried using one. I have two spare machines, 1 which is a Garrett GTA 500, a very simple machine. The second is my Whites spectrum XLT which may be a little complicated for him to use. I have 3 (soon to be 4) shovels, 1 of which is about to go and see Jesus, so it won’t be a problem kitting him out. The only problem I can foresee is that I will not be able to concentrate on my own digging as I will be worried that if I don't help him he will not enjoy his day.

Let’s hope that we have a bit of decent weather for Sunday. Rain is the only thing that could completely ruin the day. At present the weather looks cold, with no rain forecast. Won't it be great if he can find at least 1 interesting item to get the bit between his teeth?

I am sure I will blog the dig, so keep em peeled.

No comments:

Post a Comment