Saturday 23 June 2012

A worth cause and a remarkable man.


I often read the blog of a local blogging legend from Brownhills (i have his link to the right). his pseudonym is Brownhills Bob.
Bob is a real local activist for want of a better word. He promotes good causes and highlights the failings of those in power.
Recently he posted up a link to a cancer story with real heartbreaking circumstances.
Having had my mother go through years of treatment for Leukemia, and luckily come out of the other side (if you ever do) 10 years ago, the story touched my heart.
This is the story of a young man who hails from the Brownhills tribe which i hail from.
Gareth has two young boys and a dedicated wife, along with many friends and supporters.
He works tirelessly for charity, and other local good causes even though his own circumstances are unimaginable for most of us.

Gareth tells his story:
Dear Friends,
On the 1st July i will be taking part in the Shenstone Fun Run I’m looking for sponsorship to support a local chairty close to my heart – the Young Persons Cancer Unit at the QE2.
As many of you will be aware since 2008 I have been battling an extremely rare form of cancer which unfortunately is now incurable.
With my own determination and the support of Nina, cloose family and a great friends network I have managed to exceed the initial prognosis in January 2011of less than 12 months life expectancy. However my daily battle continues and It is clear that my life will be short but certainly intend it to be actioned packed.
However hard my life feels at times and periods where despite been positive I feel sorry for myself, I’m always humbled by other people I come into contact with that have similar if not worse daily battles.
One such set of people are the young people at the Young Persons Cancer Unit at the QE2 hospital in Brum, whom I have had the pleasure of spending time with during my various inpatient  treatment programmes.
These young people aged between 15 – 24 tackle their various conditions and daily trials without fuss, with dignity and so much positivity – some of whom at such an early age are facing huge battles including a premature end to life.
These young people are greatly helped during their time in the ward by the excellent dedicated staff and the Teenage Cancer Trust who fund raise to ensure that theye are able to continue with studies during treatment, learn new skills, have access to games consoles, computers, TVs, books, DVDs and special events nights and activities.
Without the hard work of the staff and the Charity none of these key features would be possible.
Therefore on the 1st July 2012 I will be taking part (hopefully alongside Nina) in the Shenstone Fun Run (well walk) to raise money for the Teenage Cancer Unit. This is a great local cause and one as you can see very much close to my heart.
Due to my health achieving the walk will be no mean feat but I’m certainly hopping to give it my all.
I have an ambitious target of raising at least £250 but hopefully closer to the £500 mark between us.
Therefore if anyone would like to sponsor me and or Nina we would be extremely grateful and very much welcomed.
All donations, however small, would be great and thank you for the continued best wishes and support I receive.
Love
Gareth

If you have it within your capability to donate just a little to such a worthy cause please do so.
I wish Gareth all of the best in his fund raising efforts, he is truly a worthy Brownhillian and a gentleman to boot.

woz.








No comments:

Post a Comment